UPDATE: Due to busy sport’s schedules, end of year celebrations, Prom, SATs and more, it is hard for children to be able to attend an overnight program during the school year. Because of this, we are postponing the overnight camp to 2018 when we can find a weekend during the summer months.
Although we will not have an overnight program, we are planning a one day camp during the summer for this year when more children will be able to attend. Our day camp will be held in the Charlotte area and will include much of the same programming as we would have offered in May.
We thank everyone for their support and participation in planning this camp! More updates coming!
We are proud to introduce Joe’s Camp! This weekend camp is for kids ages 8 – 14 whose family has been touched by ALS. This is a chance to get away for some fun and get to know kids who are also experiencing ALS. It will be held May 5th – 7th at Hickory Cove Bible Camp in Taylorsville, NC. This camp will be offered at no cost to campers and volunteers. We encourage all to consider sponsoring a camper, cabin or meal to help us make this camp possible!
The weekend will include typical camp activities such as campfires, hikes, crafts, group games and will also include age appropriate activities for kids to learn about ALS, share their experiences and honor their person with ALS. Children will be grouped in cabins based on age and gender.
If you are interested in participating in camp as a camper or volunteer, please click on the appropriate link below to get more information about camp and fill out our online interest form. Once you have completed the online interest form, we will send you a formal application.
We would like to thank the following individuals and companies who have signed up to be camper sponsors!
2017 Camper Sponsors:
Accessible Mobility Center, Debbie and Steve Hix and Greg Horn
If you would like to join in and sponsor the camp, please consider helping in one of the following ways:
– $250 – Supports one camper to attend Joe’s Camp
– $500 – Supports one meal for all camp participants at Joe’s Camp
– $1,750 – Supports one cabin of kids to attend Joe’s Camp
– $5,000 – Presenting Sponsorship – Supports entire camp program
To become a sponsor or learn how you can send in your donation please click here: Sponsor Form
Would like to donate camp supplies? We have a list of items that our campers need. Contact Sarah Hayden (firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-332-1929) about donating any of these listed below.
CAMP WISH LIST:
- Groups to sponsor a lunch or dinner
- Individually wrapped potato chips, granola bars, popcorn, pretzels or trail mix.
- Boxes of kid friendly cereal
- Breakfast items: Bagels, muffins, jelly, peanut butter
- Cookies and Fresh Fruit
- Camper Welcome Bag & Keepsake Items: Small photo albums and picture frames, small games, journals, Frisbee, luggage tags, candy, etc.
- Games – UNO, decks of cards, soccer balls, general sports balls, board games.
- S’Mores Supplies
- Extra toiletries and linens – shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, tooth brushes, twin sheets, light blankets and pillow cases.
- Infirmary Supplies: Band-aids, over the counter meds (pepto-bismol, Tylenol, chloraseptic, Benadryl, cough drops, etc.)
We appreciate your support in helping us make this a great weekend for our campers! Our mission is to help families face the challenge of living actively with ALS by providing free home care services, and children are an important part of the families we serve. We are excited to offer this camp for these brave caregivers. If you have questions or would like to speak to someone about Joe’s Camp, please call The Joe Martin ALS Foundation office at (704) 332-1329 or send an email to Sarah Hayden, Joe’s Camp Director, at email@example.com.