It’s summer and it is HOT outside! If you and your family have plans that include outdoor fun, you’ll want to plan ahead so that you can stay cool and safe. Here are some tips and tricks we’ve found work with the families we serve.
1. Avoid the hottest part of the day – If possible, plan your time outside earlier than 10:30 AM and after 4:00.
2. Stay in the shade – Plan your trip in an area that will provide shade. If not, create your own by attaching a portable umbrella to your chair like this one from Pro Performance Sports. You can find it online at Cabelas here.
3. Stay hydrated & avoid going outside when air quality is poor – In these tips from MDA, they suggest taking small sips of water rather than larger gulps. Also, be sure to check the air quality to make sure that it is not too low to make breathing difficult.
4. Use sunblock and wear a hat to avoid sunburn – Be sure to put sunblock on when going outside but avoid spray sunblock. Sprays should be avoided by those who have a compromised respiratory system. A hat will keep you cool and burn free.
5. Use cooling pads, fans and towels – there are lots of products you can purchase to put around your neck, in your chair or over your legs to stay cool. Here are some favorites of our staff and families!
These Kool Ties can be used over and over and tie around your neck. They come in lots of patterns and colors! Visit their site here to check out their products.
These Chill It towels can also be used over and over, come at a great low price and are easy to use. You can find them here at the Warming Store online.
A cooling seat cushion like this one found here on Amazon, is easy to use and will stay cool for four hours.
Attach a fan like this one from Flaghouse.com to your wheelchair to keep you cool.
6. Light weight clothing – Clothing made from cotton and linen are great choices.
Just because it’s hot outside doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it! Enjoy the summer and stay cool!