In addition to our services, we hope to share other resources and information to those with ALS (PALS) and their caregivers (CALS).
We encourage you to reach out to the organizations listed to learn more about their services and programs directly. If you have had success with an organization or resource not listed here, please let us know so that we can add them to the list!
Carolinas Neuromuscular ALS-MDA Center
Complete multi-disciplinary ALS team of excellence, everything from neurology, nutrition, GI, respiratory, counseling, OT and PT... all under one roof! Visit our How to Get Help page for more information.
Grants For PALS
This listing was put together by the Charlotte ALS Clinic team.
Click here to download the listing.
MDA Support Group Information:
- Fort Mill ALS Group: Meets the third Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:30pm at Fort Mill Church of God, 216 Academy Street, Room 101, Fort Mill, SC 29715
- North Lake General Group: Meets the last Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:30pm at Assurance Methodist Church, 9700 Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road, Huntersville, NC 28078
- Caregivers Group: Meets the last Tuesday of every month from 6:00-7:30pm at Assurance Methodist Church, 9700 Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road, Huntersville, NC 28078
NC chapter based in in Raleigh, provides information, local caregivers support group, grants and monetary assistance. For more information, visit www.alsa.org.
ALS Caregiver Support Group:
Charlotte (Matthews) Area
When: 2nd Sunday of every month, 2:30 - 4:00 pm
Where: 1122 Sam Newell Rd, Ste 104, Matthews NC
Facilitator: Sarah DeMaison, LCSW
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or (877) 257-7401 x 718
Medicare Home Health Services Information: Guidebook put together by PALS and CALS to help others access the resources that are available through medicare. More information can be retrieved on the official medicare site at https://www.medicare.gov/. Click here to download the booklet.
Range of Motion Informational Worksheet: Guide for range of motion exercises created by a person with ALS and an occupational therapist. Click here to download the guide.
Care Resources for those using Ventilators: Information put together by The Joe Martin ALS Foundation for care suggestions for those using Ventilators including facilities that accept patients who use a vent. Click here to download the resource.
Travel & Recreation
- Barrier Free Travels: www.barrierfreetravels.com - website that shares travel information and tips for those who use wheelchairs or other mobility devices.
- Disability Travel: www.disabilitytravel.com - website for traveling with disabilities.
- Emerging Horizons: www.emerginghorizons.com - website for traveling with disabilities.
- Therapeutic Recreation Division of Mecklenburg County Parks & Recreation: www.parkandrec.com - Offers more than 250 recreational and leisure programs for people with disabilities.
- Wheelin’ Sportsmen: http://nwtfsc.com/174/wheelin-sportsmen - Dedicated to providing all people with disabilities the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors including fishing, hunting, archery, rifle and educational opportunities. Part of the National Wild Turkey Federation.
Helpful Books for ALS
- Navigating Life with ALS: https://www.amazon.com/Navigating-Amyotrophic-Lateral-Sclerosis-Neurology/dp/0190241624/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549900771&sr=8-1&keywords=navigating+life+with+ALS
- Someone I love has ALS: https://www.amazon.com/Someone-Love-Has-ALS-Caregiver/dp/0996459898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549900949&sr=8-1&keywords=Someone+I+love+has+ALS
- ALS - An Orientation: https://www.amazon.com/ALS-Orientation-MD-Eliot-Dunsky/dp/1534988661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549901037&sr=8-1&keywords=als+an+orientation
- Laugh to Death - https://www.amazon.com/Laugh-Death-Dying-Well-ALS-ebook/dp/B07HM98MF1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549901117&sr=8-1&keywords=laugh+to+death+by+martin+welsh
- North Myrtle Beach, SC – Parks and Recreation Department - 813-280-5584
- Myrtle Beach, SC – Parks and Recreation Department - 813-918-1582
- Wrightsville Beach, NC – New Hanover County Parks and Recreation Department - 910-256-7925
The Joe Martin ALS Foundation's mission is to empower families as they face the challenge of living actively with ALS by providing free home care and other services at no cost.
We believe a strong support net can help people living with ALS (PALS) and their families obtain the best caregiving techniques, equipment, and bolster their will to fight this disease.