In addition to our services, we hope to share other resources and information to those with ALS (PALS) and their caregivers (CALS).
We encourage you to reach out to the organizations listed to learn more about their services and programs directly. If you have had success with an organization or resource not listed here, please let us know so that we can add them to the list!
Carolinas Neuromuscular ALS-MDA Center
Complete multi-disciplinary ALS team of excellence, everything from neurology, nutrition, GI, respiratory, counseling, OT and PT... all under one roof! Visit our How to Get Help page for more information.
Grants For PALS
This listing was put together by the Charlotte ALS Clinic team.
Click here to download the listing.
NC chapter based in in Raleigh, provides information, virtual support groups throughout NC which includes a caregiver support group, chapter financial grant, and equipment loan assistance. For more information, visit www.alsnc.org
ALS Caregiver Support Group:
Caregiver Chat Time with Meg - Telephone/OnlineWhen: First Thursday of every month, 7:00-8:00 pm & Fourth Thursday of every month, 7:00-8:00 pm
Call in Information:https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/861195349You can also dial in using your phone only: (408) 650-3123 and enter Access Code: 861-195-349join meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
Facilitator: Meg Whitaker, MSW[email protected]Contact:
Medicare Home Health Services Information: Guidebook put together by PALS and CALS to help others access the resources that are available through medicare. More information can be retrieved on the official medicare site at https://www.medicare.gov/. Click here to download the booklet.
Range of Motion Informational Worksheet: Guide for range of motion exercises created by a person with ALS and an occupational therapist. Click here to download the guide.
Care Resources for those using Ventilators: Information put together by The Joe Martin ALS Foundation for care suggestions for those using Ventilators including facilities that accept patients who use a vent. Click here to download the resource.
Travel & Recreation
- Barrier Free Travels: www.barrierfreetravels.com - website that shares travel information and tips for those who use wheelchairs or other mobility devices.
- Disability Travel: www.disabilitytravel.com - website for traveling with disabilities.
- Emerging Horizons: www.emerginghorizons.com - website for traveling with disabilities.
- Therapeutic Recreation Division of Mecklenburg County Parks & Recreation: www.parkandrec.com - Offers more than 250 recreational and leisure programs for people with disabilities.
- Wheelin’ Sportsmen: http://nwtfsc.com/174/wheelin-sportsmen - Dedicated to providing all people with disabilities the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors including fishing, hunting, archery, rifle and educational opportunities. Part of the National Wild Turkey Federation.
Helpful Books for ALS
- On Any Given Day. By Joe Martin: download the eBook here
- Navigating Life with ALS: https://www.amazon.com/Navigating-Amyotrophic-Lateral-Sclerosis-Neurology/dp/0190241624/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549900771&sr=8-1&keywords=navigating+life+with+ALS
- Someone I love has ALS: https://www.amazon.com/Someone-Love-Has-ALS-Caregiver/dp/0996459898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549900949&sr=8-1&keywords=Someone+I+love+has+ALS
- ALS - An Orientation: https://www.amazon.com/ALS-Orientation-MD-Eliot-Dunsky/dp/1534988661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549901037&sr=8-1&keywords=als+an+orientation
- Laugh to Death - https://www.amazon.com/Laugh-Death-Dying-Well-ALS-ebook/dp/B07HM98MF1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549901117&sr=8-1&keywords=laugh+to+death+by+martin+welsh
The Joe Martin ALS Foundation's mission is to empower families as they face the challenge of living actively with ALS by providing home care and other services at no cost.
We believe a strong support net can help people living with ALS (PALS) and their families obtain the best caregiving techniques, equipment, and bolster their will to fight this disease.